Friday, July 30, 2010

The NBA Experience and the Next Step:

7/30/10

Since my last blog a lot has taken place, mostly a lot of basketball. I’ve been away from home for almost twenty days. It has been a great twenty days, filled with a lot of learning and memories that I’ll never forget. When I went to Los Angeles I didn’t really know what to expect. I knew that it would be a struggle, but I also knew it would be fun.

While participating in mini-camp I learned a lot about myself. I learned not only was I not the big fish in the pond anymore, but if I wanted to make it to the NBA level I’d have to make a lot of adjustments. It was a brutal wake up call every morning waking up and going head to head with one of the Lakers draft picks. Derek Caracter was a star at UTEP after transferring from Louisville before his Junior year. I thought I was a big kid, unitl I played against Derek. He is about my height, but at least 30 pounds heavier. Needless to say it was battle for me everyday just to be able to match his physicality and strength. However, I think this is what I need. I needed to see what it was like to face a possibly legitimate NBA player, everyday.

During mini-camp I started out a little slow, not really sure what role I should take. While at Guilford I demanded the ball, and when I got the ball I typically shot it. Here, I was nervous about out stepping my boundaries as a player. I wanted to show what I could do, but I wanted it to come within the offense. Speaking of the offense, that was one of the biggest learning curves of the trip. The famous triangle, it is one of the most potent offences in all of basketball, but it is also one of the hardest to learn. I was in a crash course, speed session of the triangle offense, using terminology that I had never heard, and I struggled a bit. It really messed with me, because I thought more than I actually played. I was so worried about where I was supposed to be, and got away from playing the game. As mini-camp progressed so did my understanding of the offense, as well as my confidence playing against bigger and stronger players than I have ever played against before. After ten days of camp, it was time to go to Las Vegas as a team, and participate in summer league.

We get to Las Vegas, and checked into one of the nicest hotels that I have ever stayed at. I pretty much had my own apartment looking over the Las Vegas strip, so I didn’t really have any complaints about the accommodations’. We started the week with a game verse Detroit, and I didn’t get to play. This really was a dagger to my confidence, I thought that my scrimmage performance would at least get me on the court for some, even if only a little playing time. I didn’t really know what to think, I was disappointed, but at the same time I was thankful for having the opportunity I did. The next day we had a game against Denver, and I got the call towards the end of the first quarter to go in. At this point I really wasn’t sure what to think, I was really nervous, about like the first time I ever went into a game at Guilford. After I got onto the court, it was all basketball again. This is the game that I saw the most playing time, for the whole week. I played decent, but I definitely could have done better. The rest of the week was kind of a blur with games and practices. I really didn’t get to see that much playing time, but I understood why. I’m probably not a player that the Lakers are wanting to look at for a legitimate chance to be signed, while the rest of the players on my team, who were older and more experienced might have had a better shot. They were all very good players, and I honestly learned a lot from each one. This whole trip, like I said, was a learning experience. I learned what it takes, and what I have to do to be able to play consistently at that level. I definitely have a lot of work to do. I’m just thankful and blessed for this experience. If you had told me two months ago that I would be playing summer league with the LA Lakers, I definitely would have laughed in your face.

Now it’s time for the next step! I recently signed a contract to play with a team in Pamplona, Spain. The team, which is located in the city that is most famous for the annual festival of the running of the bulls, is in a transitional period as they move up from LEB silver to LEB gold, which basically means they are moving from the third to second division. Last year they did well, and finished fourth in their league. I could have taken a couple other offers, which were at higher levels in different countries, but this opportunity for a first year player is really good. Spain is one of the top foreign countries to play in. If I do well, I’ll be able to possibly move up to the top league in Spain. Hopefully I’ll be able to showcase my talents, and improve my game as I move forward with my career. I am blessed to have this opportunity, and I’m anxious to get there and get to work!

Here is a Link to the Teams Website:

http://www.basketnavarraclub.com/

God Bless

1 comment:

  1. This is exciting news, Tyler, congratulations! You've worked so hard and enjoyed a terrific Guilford College experience, which bodes well for this next chapter of life overseas. You're alma mater is quite proud of you and we look forward to following your continued progress. Please keep in touch and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete