Friday, August 13, 2010

9/13/1

Since my last blog, there really has not been many eventful things happening in my life. I’ve been in Greensboro, mostly just working out and playing basketball everyday. It’s nice after a busy summer schedule to actually get to breathe a little, and take a step back from all the traveling. I had a lot of fun, but now I get to enjoy summer a little bit, while working hard to improve my body and skill set for the upcoming season.

Two weeks from today, I’ll board a plane and head to a country that I’ve never been to, or even know anyone who lives there. It is a very bittersweet feeling. I know I am so blessed to have this opportunity available to me, but at the same time I know I’ll miss my family and friends back home. It’s definitely going to be an eye-opening experience when I get there to be “on my own” with no one as a crutch, and adjusting to living by myself. However, this is my job, and I will treat it as such. I am being paid to play basketball to the best on my ability, and win basketball games for this team.

I am optimistic that there will be a lot of people there that will be able to help me adjust to the culture, and will be able to help me along the way with things I might need. There have been many people from Pamplona who have already contacted me via Twitter and Facebook. They all are very nice and seem enthusiastic about me being on the team. I am hopeful that my team and myself will perform well this season.

I’ve never been one to really get homesick, but at this point I have so many emotions going through me, it’s hard to tell how I’m going to feel when I get there. I am hopeful that I adapt well, and keep in daily contact with my friends and family back home. Sunday, a lot of my family and friends are coming to my house for a going away party. This is going to be the last time I see them for a while, most likely until Christmas. It’s going to feel weird saying goodbye to them, and knowing that I wont be able to see them for so long. I know they‘ll be thinking about me, and praying for me as well. My mom is already planning a trip to come visit and watch me play, and some of my friends have talked about doing the same. So hopefully between skype and visits from friends and family, I’ll be able to enjoy my time to the max while in Spain.

At this point in the process, I’m getting a little anxious to go ahead and get over there. I’m excited to get the season started, and found out today that our first pre-season game will take place five days after I get there, against a first division team. So, I’m expecting to learn a lot in the first couple of days there, and look forward to playing in an real game so quickly. My next post will be coming to from Spain, so until then, God Bless!

Here is the link to our team website:

http://www.basketnavarraclub.com/ (If you copy and paste it into google..you can “google translate” it!)

You can also follow me on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/Tyler_Sanborn

No comments:

Post a Comment